Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 22 July 2006

Looking like a "Gyopo" in Seoul

Wikipedia defines a Gyopo as: a term originating from Korea, describing persons of Korean ethnic descent who have lived the majority of their lives outside Korea.

Now, everybody knows that I'm Chinese and not Korean. But no matter where we go, every single Korean merchant immediately starts talking to me in Korean! Only when I make a strange face and look at Devante, do they soon realize they've wasted 30 seconds of their life speaking Korean to me. It's pretty funny actually. Just imagine someone speaking a foreign language to you where ever you go. That's my situation right now--teaching English in Korea as a 6 foot 2 inch Chinese-Canadian that looks like a Korean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest wearying a Canadian flag pin on your shirt! Just point to that when they talk to you and they should get the idea.

Blonde one

C&C co. said...

Hi. I was seeking a job in Seoul, Korea as an English tutor for the summer. Do you know where I need to look (either online or wherever) to find a job? I'm going to college this fall in New York and I want to make money for tuition. Please email me at bebechic012@aol.com. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com