Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 20 July 2006

Our visit to Carrefour (The Walmart of Korea)

Carrefour in Korea is similar to Walmart back home. It is a huge department store that sells everything you can think of. Electronics, clothes, books, groceries, etc. The best part about it is that this place is located 100m down the street. Awesome!

We live next to a fire hall:

Here is a typical Korean vending machine. This one is filled with Pepsi products:

The escalators in this shopping center do not have steps. They are flat so you can go up and down levels with your shopping cart:

Here is the main entrance to Carrefour. This was at 9:55am. The store opens at 10am. As you can see, there is already a mad line up to get into the store. We soon realized that it was because there was a huge sale going on in the grocery department. Koreans were after cheap cabbage (obviously for kimchi) and other items. The best part was, 1 minute before the store opened there was a song played on the PA system. This song was a reminder for the Carrefour staff to stretch! So all the staff, both inside and outside the store started doing stretching exercises in unison. It was kinda neat.

Here's a picture of my friend back home, Tony the Tiger but in Korean. After taking this picture, an employee approached me about using my camera in the store...I ignored him and took a picture of him in spite. Ok, I didn't do that but I did put my camera away.

We bought some bakery items, and some other miscellaneous food items for breakfast. I was too hungry to take pictures so you'll just have to take my word.


Niah said...

What a great website! I am so impressed. I think I would like to try some Bibimbap(?)

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com