Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Tuesday, 5 September 2006

Craving durian--the King of Fruit!

Who loves tropical fruit?

Alrighty, for those who know Gdog...you know that I love durian. Durian is a tropical fruit that "tastes like heaven but smells like hell."--say what you want about the smell, the taste is second to none.

From Wikipedia: "The fruit can grow up to 40 cm long and 30 cm in diameter, and typically weighs one to five kg. The shape of the fruit ranges from oblong to round, the colour of its husk green to brown, and its flesh pale-yellow to red, depending on species. Its hard outer husk is covered with sharp, prickly thorns, and the flesh within emits a strong, distinctive odour. Some regard this odour as fragrant, while the uninitiated often find it overpowering or offensive. The edible portions of the fruit are the custard-like flesh and the seed."

Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says: "... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia."

Anyways, I spotted some whole frozen durians at Carrefour (where else?) and was tempted to buy a whole one (Devante would kill me)--this was three weeks ago. I also saw packages of flash frozened durian for much cheaper and finally gave in a few days ago!

Flash frozen to -45C = fresh!


Vaccuum sealed for even more freshness (or to prevent the smell from spreading):


Since the durian was frozen, the smell was not as pungent. It tasted delicious and next time I'm going for the WHOLE frozen durian, not the prebagged stuff.

For those not aware, some countries ban durian in hotels, airports and restaurants because the smell is so bad. haha!

Image from Wikipedia (that durian looks like a bomb):

A sign present in most MRTs in Singapore, banning food/drink, flammable liquid, smoking...and Durians. Taken by Steve Bennett.

4 comments:

ZenKimchi said...

Dude! Come out with us next time. Likely we'll be opening a whole durian.

Gdog said...

Yeah, sounds good to me! I actually just broke down and bought a WHOLE durian yesterday at Carrefour! I opened it yesterday too! I froze the extra seeds so I can have some whenever I want :)

Maria said...

oh man... I had durian ice cream a little while back and it was like... kitty litter ice cream to me.

maybe it's an acquired taste?

Entity Resources said...

I was wondering is there a market for Frozen Durian in Korea? I'm in Frozen Durian Biz.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com