Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 14 September 2006

Learning Hangul--the Korean alphabet

I believe if you are a foreigner in a new country, it is essential that you learn the language. It will make your cultural experience that much better. It's also easier to learn when you are immersed in the language everyday.

I've started learning Hangul, the Korean alphabet. It consists of 14 consonants and 10 vowels, for a total of 24 letters. It's not hard but it does take some time and effort to study the characters. I have learned most of the vowels so now whenever I see Hangul written, I can spot them easily. I enjoy studying new languages so this is exciting for me. It only makes sense since I'm living and teaching English in Korea. If you want to try learning some Hangul, check out these free online lessons from J. David Eisenberg (he makes it interesting and humorous).

I'm posting from work, so stay tuned for more pictures and experiences as the weekend is near--it's approximately 8.5 hours away. ;)

시 유 ('see you') later!


ZenKimchi said...

That site is great for learning basic Korean and hangeul. It was where I learned it.

g^2 said...

Have you seen this? - http://outsideinkorea.com/inside/2006/08/learn_to_read_korean_part_two.php

This dude has part i and ii so far. Quite good I thought. :)

kangmi said...

You can find other Korean language resources at kangmi.

Jon Allen said...

I keep thinking I ought to start learning the language and the alphabet. I am hopeless at new languages and so far I've got by with no Korean at all.

I've just spotted this
free Korean lessons from the Korean Foundation Cultural Centre. They are in the middle of town 7 mins from Soedaemun station. So I might be tempted.

akuh said...

I ever learned korean but not finished yet. ctually i like it, but time is not enough for me

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com