Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Friday, 8 September 2006

The number four in Korea...or "F"

In Korean culture (and Chinese culture too) the word "four" also means "death". So, instead of thirteen being "unlucky" here, it's the number four. Back in Canada or the Western world, if you live on the thirteenth floor that is considered unlucky. Here in Korea, it's the fourth floor.

Alright, so here's my story. We work on the fourth floor at work. Can you guess what's listed on the elevator button for the fourth floor? That's right, it's not the number "4" it's the letter "F".

"Fourth floor please...err...I mean "F"..."

2 comments:

Janice said...

Nice blog. I'm visiting from RBJ. Actually, I once considered teaching English in Korea or China, so I'll be interested in reading about your experiences. As for "four", I went to a restaurant in Taiwan once and the hostess asked if we were a party of "san ja yi", which translates to "three plus one". I can't recall how they label elevators though.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your article during some quick internet search after seeing it also in an elevator at a korean university. Thanks for sharing!

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com