Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 1 October 2006

Building intercom announcement: pay your maintenance fees or else!

For two months now, the building intercom would periodically play an audio message. We had no idea what it meant because it was in Korean. Every single time I missed the opportunity to get the message on video, so I could then play it for my Korean speaking coworkers to translate. That day came last week.

Turns out, the message is a friendly reminder for the building occupants to pay their monthly maintenance fees on time. The warning says that if you don't pay, you'll be deported to North Korea to work in a kimchi factory (don't hold this against me please).

Here's the audio transmission for your listening pleasure. If you can understand Korean, I'd love to hear from you as to what it says exactly!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Akh! This happens in my apartment, too! I've been dying to find out what they're saying. It's usually a woman, but this one time, at like 10:45pm, this guy came on, and sounded a bit upset. It made me nervous, but nothing bad happened.

g^2 said...

LOL! My Korean is quite rusty, so I didn't catch the bit about working in a North Korean Kimchi factory... ;-)

Anonymous said...

No doubt you understood this by now, but yea, he said something along the following:

"...(inaudible) for those of you renters who still haven't paid facility fees, please remit your payment by today without further delay. Again, today is 8th month's (or 8th building) facility payment due date. There are (inaudible) near the mailbox. For those of you renters who still haven't paid facility fees, please remit your payment by today without further delay. This concludes the informational message from the (name of building) office.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com