Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Tuesday, 17 October 2006

Note to self: do not eat Two Two Fried Chicken before bed...

*Burp*...ZZZzzz.....those were the sounds I was making last night after work, after a spur of the moment trip to Two Two Fried Chicken with a couple friends from work. I have to say, the chicken there is some of the best I've ever had. It arrives piping hot (enough to give you 3rd degree burns) and it's not greasy like your regular fried chicken--it's just so finger lickn' good!

This was our second trip to Two Two and it was just as good or better as the first. The owners of the location right by Mokdong Station are very friendly. I saw them eating some fruit/vegetables from a distance and immediately one of the cooks motioned if I wanted to try some. I just nodded and smiled. Next thing you know it, they show up with a plate of slice tomatoes, on the house! Scoooore (I've never been so excited about tomatoes)!

As for eating fried chicken late at night before going to bed, I might have to strongly reconsider that for next time (who am I kidding, I'm doing this again!). I think I woke up this morning after having long nightmares--about an enormous piece of bbq glazed chicken that tried to attack me and eat me. I am proposing a Two Two Fried Chicken night each month...when it is the 2-2 of every month, I will be heading to Two Two. The chicken is just too (no pun intended) good...you gotta try it if you come to Korea.

Two full orders of chicken...half regular and half bbq..."Ok boys and girls, from this point on, please, no talking, just eating ok, great, thanks":

10 comments:

Jon Allen said...

sounds great.
I've seen TTFC and wondered if they were any good or not.

In fact I might have seen yours as I was at Mokdong yesterday. I went to my first ever twaekwondo lesson at a little gym near Mokdong market.

Anonymous said...

Hi GDog: my fellow Canadian,

I'm a 23 yr. old from who has decided, partly thanks to your blog, to do the ESL thing for a year. I've been a loyal reader all summer and now it's my turn; I leave for Suwon next Monday.

You and your girlfriend have such positive attitudes... and who doesn't love a dose of greasy chicken ... or a breakfast sandwich from a cart.

My question is the following: I realize your material is copyrited but I borrowed a colorful photo you took of a marketplace, as the header of my blog. It's just that... I'm not there yet to snap my own photos! Let me know if it's o.k.

Cheers.

http://survivingsouthkorea.blogspot.com/

Daejeon James said...

hey thanks for the link...I'll add you to mine as well. I've had a few too many fried chicken mishaps myself...I think my stomach has a permanant coating of oily fatty grease...it makes for some good dumps though

mark said...

Wierd. I was taking the bus to downtown this afternoon and I saw a TTFC and I had a flashback to your post.

Gdog said...

That's funny. I love Two Two...but I don't want to overdo it by eating it too much. What am I talking about...BRING IT ON!!!

Carol said...

Who needs hallucagens, when you have late-nite Korean-ized fried chicken? Man, I really want some gam-pung-gee (fiery hot/sweet chicken wings) now ...

By the way, my Korean mom can also make the awesomest fried chicken ... super crispy, not greasy. Must be something in the breadcrumbs.

Thanks for writing this blog, being food-obsessed and Korea-curious, I'm enjoying your encounters and everyday what-not.

Gdog said...

Carol, I have a question for you...when can I come over for some of your mom's famous fried chicken??? ;-)

Carol said...

Um, my omma's homestyle soul fried chicken requires coming to Chicago. And spending time with a crazy permy-haired Korean woman (my mom, that is) :-) Let me know! Her kitchen stays open late, too.

Rich said...

I just spent two weeks in Seoul and went to the Mokdong 2-2 one night. Instantly hooked. I ordered a second plate of the fried chicken before we had even finished the first. I think they put crack cocaine in the spice mix. I'm looking for a recipe that might approximate the sublime flavor. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

wow, there's a place here in strathfield, australia thats called two two fried chicken too. its a korean dominated suburb so i wonder if its just a coincidence. never tried it before but now i think i will have to visit the place next time

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com