Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 19 October 2006

Tour to the DMZ on Saturday...

This Saturday I am going on a tour to the DMZ (I first mentioned the DMZ in July) with some friends from work. If you've been reading the newspapers and following the news on TV, you probably think I'm crazy right about now. But the truth is there is no immediate danger with visiting the DMZ (although there is risk involved) according to the organizers of the tour, the United Service Organizations (USO) Korea. This according to other coworkers is the best tour as it is led by US military personnel which makes it very interesting.

We will be visiting Panmunjeom (about 53 kilometers/33 miles northwest of Seoul) where the Joint Security Area (JSA) is located along with a walk to the 3rd tunnel. According to Wikipedia, "The third tunnel was discovered on October 17, 1978. Like the previous two, the third tunnel was discovered following a tip off from a North Korean defector. This tunnel is about 1,600 metres long and about 150 metres below ground."

There is a dress code required for this adventure. No shorts, sandals, sports wear, etc. You must look neutral and somewhat presentable. This might not be the best time to visit the DMZ according to some, but right now we're not really scared or anything. It's life as usual here...just smelling the roses. My next post will be after my trip there--don't worry, I'll take a billion photos and hopefully some videos too.

Hey, if this guy can make the DMZ look like his own playground, I think I can too (not that I want to), hehe.

"I said I wanted my Two Two Fried Chicken order extra crispy!!!" - James Bond

Thanks to Madonna for the title song...for your listening pleasure:


Anonymous said...

Hello , very funny.....this article

Eugene Chan said...

Heh. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BfMlJPkDqO8

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com