Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 30 November 2006

Interesting essays I've encountered at work

Part of my job teaching English in Korea involves assigning essays (sometimes too many). The majority of my topics are from a list of TOEFL topics, as it will familiarize students with the type of topics they will face if they take a TOEFL test. Sometimes I take a different route to mix things up and come up with different topics that are of interest to my students. When students are able to to do something they are interested in, they will become more motivated. Ahh, the joys of teaching! :)

My students know that I love food (who doesn't?)--so why not assign the a task of writing about it? I told them to suggest three Korean dishes I should eat. Here is part of an essay written by MJ (nickname), who is 12 years old, and one of my brightest students. His writing is better than mine!

The paragraphs below were written by KKS (nickname)--the topic was "If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?" KKS chose to write about visiting Japan. When I read the following passage I was not sure if he was serious or not (given the history of Japan and Korea). Definitely an eye opener!

Yesterday, I asked him in class if he was serious but he said he was joking and gave me a little smirk. I said, "KKS, what would you say if I told you I was Japanese and not Chinese?" He just laughed! That's it, the next time I go to class I'm going to make some kryptonite out of essay paper just in case KKS decides to pull a fast one on me!

I'm always open for more essay topics...so let's hear your ideas!


estlxlan said...

KKS is scary!!!

Ed Lau said...

Wow, that KKS kid is...wow. lol

I cracked up when I saw "hot action" in MJ's essay. Oh man, I'm just so disgusting.

Gdog said...

I will try to infiltrate KKS' brain and see if he is actually serious. He told me he was joking, but his writing portrayed a hidden agenda.

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I'm Korean (now in Canada) and when I was in elementary school over there, I learned about Japan's atrocities but I certainly did not want to kill them.
Recently, I've been hearing that Korea's education system is getting a good does of anti-Japan attitude. Seeing something like this is very disturbing indeed.
If this is the direction that Korean education system is going, I feel sorry for Korea's future generation.

Anonymous said...

i literally laughed my ass off. :D
that KKS kid is hilarious! he went from wanting to kill japan to wanting to be a tourist/supporting them~ XD

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com