Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 17 December 2006

Voluteering in Pyeongtaek

About one week ago, one of our friends at work approached us about doing some volunteering--basically playing and spending some time with children from displaced families. So this Saturday we took a journey to Pyeongtaek, approximately one hour south of Seoul by train. Our destination was the Eastern Pyeongtaek Welfare Society.

Armed with books, puzzles and candy, these kids were extremely happy to see us! Their ages ranged from 2-3 years old. They were full of energy and they were very cute. We even had a chance to feed them (rice with soup, veggies and...tiny pieces of KIMCHI!). Once noon came around, it was nap time and these kids all started to cry because we had to leave. It was pretty sad but we did feel good about helping brighten the day for these kids. I would post some images of them but I was told to refrain from putting the images on the internet. So here are some pictures of our journey there and back instead (we played with the kids in the Jacob's Home building)!

Our first stop, catching a train at Yongsan Station. This is also the location of the Yongsan Electronics District:

There was a booth displaying cars by GM Daewoo. I caught this guy taking a nap:

What are these things called again?

It was nice to get out of the city and see a bit of Korea's countryside:

On our way off the train...follow these instructions carefully:

We made it...Pyeongtaek Station:

Tickets to and from Pyeongtaek cost about 4500-5000w.


Anonymous said...

I wanted to email you a question but I couldn't find an email address (I would've preferred email because I'm not sure if you update this blog anymore)... anyways,

I was wondering how you would get involved in helping out at the Pyeongtaek Welfare Society. I'm going to be in Korea for a few weeks and have some free time; I'd love to go and help if I can. Thanks! My email is pinkpia14@yahoo.com.

Sheae said...

Volunteers are not paid -- not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless. ~
Volunteering Quotes

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com