Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Monday, 29 January 2007

The last day of intensives--yay!

One month of working twelve hours a day, five times a week has come to an end. Although I had some fantastic classes, teaching for nine hours a day (not including prepping and marking) is a tedious task. We are both exhausted but glad that the month is over. Tomorrow we start the regular schedule of working only eight hours (we teach for six hours).

Today's last day included some festivities for the kids. My first class enjoyed Back to the Future on my 12" widescreen notebook (probably not the best way for 12 middle schoolers to watch a movie, hehe). I did have some Logitech USB external speakers to help create a better theatrical experience. They enjoyed the movie, although we didn't get a chance to finish watching it. I told them to go rent it or buy it (that would have subtitles; I had to explain what Biff meant when he kept on calling Marty a "butt head").

My second class ended with Jeopardy battle versus another class. It was fun and exciting for the kids since they absolutely dominated our competition. I was lucky to have such a great group of little geniuses--they made me extremely proud they way they answered questions in complete sentences. What can I say, I work my magic in the classroom! ;-)

My last class of the day joined in with a few other classes to watch the movie Cars. After approximately 30 restless minutes, I herded them back to our class for a class Jeopardy battle of "Girls vs Boys"...the boys won, even though they were outnumbered 9 to 4.

Today I treated all three of my classes to some pop, snacks, and candy. They were pretty revved up--it was awesome (now that I think of it, I now know why I have a headache; kids+sugary soda is not a recommended mixture)! I also mentioned to them on last Friday to bring their own snacks as well--this added to an even better experience.

However, with all those extra snacks meant a tonne of garbage. The garbage can in my class is as small as a bucket of paint--it's ridiculous. Every night, the "ajama" (older Korean woman) who cleans my class moves my garbage can away from my desk to the center of the classroom. I presume it's her subliminal message to me--in other words, keep your garbage in the can! The garbage can usually sits in a corner where my desk meets the wall. This makes for the ultimate target for shooting trash like it's a basketball. Here's a picture of the accumulated garbage--now you will understand why the "ajama" probably hates my guts.

Inside that enormous bag of shrimp crackers sits two empty soda bottles and other miscellaneous garbage. Look at the size of the garbage can--if you can find it! ;)


Black's said...

Nice blogs....


Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com