Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Monday, 26 February 2007

Fashion in Korea: my observations

Another month has pretty much come and gone. Time flies when you are living abroad. We just had to do our monthly batch of progress reports. Hence this delay in posting. Anyways, let's get started...

A while back, when I posted about decorating our officetel, "Lisa" posted in the comments if I'm open to suggestions on topics to talk about on the blog. She wanted to see a bit more about Korean fashion. Well, Lisa, your dream has come true as I happened to snap some pictures of clothing stores in Sinchon and some other miscellaneous advertisements around Seoul.

Looks and appearance play a huge role in Korean society. How you look is very important! Fashion in Korea involves wearing lots of layers and having lots of accessories to go with your clothing. People like to wear clothes that have English text on it, but normally the text serves as the "design" and the literal meaning has nothing to do with anything.

Guys wear a lot of layers as well and most of the time they are in jeans. Women on the other hand take it up to another level. Even in the heart of winter, you will see some women wearing mini skirts with no stockings in high heeled boots--I don't know how they can deal with the minus degree weather in such little clothing! Also, Korea might the high heel capital of the world. The women here wear high heels everywhere. It's quite the feat to tackle multiple flights of subway stairs in heels--I can't imagine how that would feel. Now that I think of it, blister medication and band aid companies probably make a killing here!

Most of the time you can get a sense of what fashion is "in style" by advertisements. Here is an ad by K-SWISS:


Next up, we have Bean Pole (they have Gweneth Paltrow as one of their models; check her out on the side of a bus), which is similar to the Banana Republic and The Gap:


Here's a picture of a clothing store in Sinchon. If you're looking to buy clothes for cheap, you have to check out Dongdaemun:


...and I guess Koreans love their lingerie too:


What I get a kick out of is how couples love to dress the same. This was taken from a while back from our first visit to Insadong:

"WE LOVE EACH OTHER!"

This is just small sample of what you'll see teaching in Korea. I'll try to post more about fashion in the future.

*edit* Here's a cool link to Naver's weather fashion recommendations (thanks annamatic)...check out the link for what to wear depending on the weather!

Get all the Korean Fashion you can through AsiaJam!




Current promotion, spend $70 and get a free goodie bag!


22 comments:

seungsse said...

oooh daniel henney *swoons*

Anonymous said...

Love your site!! I shall be visiting Seoul this Sunday and staying for a week for a job interview to work with McDonald's. Hence how I found your site. Thank you thank you it will be a great resource for me.
Suz

mark said...

Speaking of chaebols, Bean Pole is supposedly connected with the Samsung:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_Pole_International

So are you starting to wear Korean fashion?

Also, I love the facial reaction of the lady in front of the couple wearing the striped t-shirts.

Gdog said...

Sue: thanks for the kind words, good luck! What position will you be applying for at McD's?

mark: Yeah, I noticed that after my previous post on Bean Pole. It's pretty crazy.

So far, I haven't purchased a lot of clothing here. It's hard to find my size!

That picture of the couple is one of my highlights of life in Korea.

Lisa said...

ooh! A fashion fix! I appreciate it. I actually came to love all things Korean via K-dramas, so I especially appreciate the Bean Pole ad (he was in My Lovely Sam Soon). I am fascinated by the fashion in the k-dramas--the color coordination is outstanding, and some of the outfits the guys wear are...well...sort of girly to say the least! Makes for interesting watching for this American girl. Thanks for writing and posting pictures.
Lisa (your loyal reader in the San Francisco Bay Area)

Gdog said...

You're welcome Lisa! So that's who that guy is. I have no idea since I'm not up to date with the K-dramas! I'm gonna keep an eye out for future pictures...stay tuned!

annamatic said...

I love checking out the Naver Weather fashion recommendations. This is what happens when the nation's weatherment start telling people what to wear. Hmm... maybe it explains the out-of-season miniskirts....
http://weather.local.naver.com/Fashion.nhn

Gdog said...

annamatic: that is a pretty cool Naver site feature, it's hilarious! No kidding about the miniskirts...man alive!

Amanda said...

You failed to mention that women have no idea how to match. I met some Korean friends for dinner this weekend said, "Tell me why a Korean woman can be dressed to the nines, nails done, hair perfect, makeup flawless... And then she's wearing a black and white plaid checked jacket with a black and white polka-dot skirt with navy tights and light brown shoes. Please. Why? Why?"

They burst out laughing but couldn't tell me why.

Gdog said...

amanda: haha, yes that is so true. Some of the wardrobes here are just out of this world...it boggles the mind!

Anonymous said...

This an interesting entry. I hope one day I can go to Korea and walk along the streets. These shops are so luxury!

Anonymous said...

I love this entry, it's so interesting. I love Korea, too. I hope one day I can go to Korea and walk along the streets. It's very beautiful! Obviously, I go shopping, too. These shops are so luxury!

Be said...

I love this entry, it's so interesting. I love Korea, too. I hope one day I can go to Korea and walk along the streets. It's very beautiful! Obviously, I go shopping, too. These shops are so luxury!

shaannnn said...

hey there! found your blog thru googling beanpole.. i think beanpole has really nice clothes! gosh and daniel henney, hope to be able to visit korea one day and i will ask you for shopping areas to get clothes like beanpole! (:

Gdog said...

shaannnn: Thanks for visiting! I am going to sport some Bean Pole soon..and even Polham. You gotta blend in some how! ;0

becky imbecile said...

i'm leaving for Korea the day after tomorrow and was utterly perplexed as to what would be appropriate to wear for this time of year. This site and all of it's contents answered all of my questions and then some! thank you so much for providing thoughtful, well-written content!

Anonymous said...

Koreans love their lingerie? 뭔소리야? 너 한국인이니? 생긴거 보니 동양인 같은데...

maki said...

korea is great

and i see SE7EN in the K-swiss ad
& daniel henney in the Beanpole one

yummi

Yee-chan said...

Dae han ming guk!!! ^_^

misskoco said...

I'd like to add another swoon regarding Daniel Henney. And as for more on Korean fashion, particularly street fashion, check out seoulfashionreport.com

Stranger said...

wow

I'm so jealous...

I would want to live and teach english in korea too...

I'm von by the way I'm from the philippines...

http://yourvanitykit.blogspot.com/
http://imrevon.wordpress.com/

janekhon said...

Hi.....I like your blog, I am also living in korea and have a blog about this place...here is the link...By the way i have one of those korean winter boots..here is my link www.junglelifeinkorea.blogspot.com

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com