Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Wednesday, 14 February 2007

Valentine's Day lunch: paying to cook my own food

For Valentine's Day, Devante and I went out for a quick lunch before work at the Hyundai Department Store. There was this place that we had seen before that I wanted to try out. So we enduredthe freezing cold weather and embarked on our 10 minute journey to Pepper Lunch. This central idea of this place is that you cook your own meat-based dish in a hot stone plate.

We both decided to go with one of their lunch combos, which included a soft drink. Devante with with the pepper steak and rice and I chose the pepper steak with curry rice. Our meals arrived relatively fast (considering the kitchen staff just needs to throw the ingredients onto the hot plate) and immediately we were cooking our own lunch. Paying money to cook your own food, what a concept. At least I didn't have to do the dishes!

Pepper Lunch is a big chain in Korea. It was pretty busy there at lunch time:

Here is their menu. You can choose from an assortment of pepper steaks, pork, and chicken. The pictures exaggerated the serving of meat big time...you'll see what I'm talking about.

Devante's pepper steak and rice dish. Raw meat on a hot stone might not seem appetizing to you, but everyone loves pictures of raw meat in Korea! You see posters of raw meat in bbq restaurants and grocery stores. With most dishes here, meat is not the major emphasis, unlike North America. If you are a carnivore (like myself--hey, I'm a dog) you will need to find other sources of meat to satisfy your cravings:

Here is my dish, which is vaguely similar to Devante's except there was some curry powder on my rice. I had to mix it all up to create some sort of curry beef masterpiece:

Five minutes later and this is what it looked like...appetizing?

If you love sweet pickles or any other sort of pickles, you will love food in Korea. It's served with everything, especially pizza. Here are the pickles we were served. I saved them for you.

Pepper Lunch was alright, it was an experience to say the least. We are going out for Valentine's dinner on Saturday night since we work nights during the week. Any suggestions on where to go in Seoul?


White van man said...

The raw meat looks disgusting. But it does show how fresh the meat looks so I can only guess that is the reason why.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com