Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 8 March 2007

When an ATM fails, film a video

Normally when you visit an ATM to withdraw money, you expect money to actually come out. Well, this wasn't the case when we used the Wooribank ATM next door at Homever. Devante puts in her card, enters her PIN and the amount of cash she wanted, we hear some buzzing sounds (like cash being counted), her card and bank receipt comes out, but the ATM cash slot doesn't open!!!

At this point, we're both like WTF...not again! The last time we picked up the phone attached to the ATM, a security guy arrived within minutes. This time however, it was a different story. I had one of the Korean staff at Homever call and he told us to wait 20-30 minutes for them to come reload the machine with money. So we waited...and waited...and waited. Nobody came, so I picked up the phone myself and called. Luckily, a different worker came to my rescue and helped us out. He said you don't have to wait because the transaction did not affect our account, you can go use the other ATM on the second floor. GREAT...we were waiting for nothing!

BUT...since I carry my camera with me everywhere, I took a short video clip of the inside of Homever. People watching at it's finest:

4 comments:

mark said...

Just wondering, are things like digital cameras much cheaper versus buying them in Canada?

Gdog said...

They are cheaper because you will save on the 14% tax. Also, you can find grey market items for much cheaper. I picked up the Canon EOS 400D for a lot cheaper than back home. If you buy online, you can save too.

mark said...

Cool. I guess I'll bring along my old PowerShot and look for a new camera while I'm there. Looking at coming in June for a while.. not to teach, but to learn Korean.

john from daejeon said...

For some reason computers in S. Korea aren't cheaper, faster, or contain larger hard drives and faster processors than those in the U.S. I thought I might pick one up here, but no such luck. I'm glad I upgraded before I came over. It's been over 6 months and my current HP is still 6-12 months ahead of those here in S. Korea.

My students have fits of envy when they see my laptop/notebook in class with its 17 inch widescreen and 240 gig hard drive.

I enjoyed your trip along the Han. I purchased a bicycle when I arrived here in Daejeon, and I am able to traverse the city quickly along the many bike paths. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I moved to Seoul and couldn't use my bike to travel everywhere. It's funny that I know the city better than many people who have lived here all their lives. Plus, my boss and co-workers know of my fondness for riding each "warm" weekend and it exempts me from excursions up distant mountainsides. For 590,000won one can buy a motorized bicycle that can go 33 mph and gets 110 miles per gallon of gasoline. Here's the website: http://www.parts4bike.com/company1.html It's very interesting in not too bad for the environment.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com