Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Tuesday, 24 April 2007

How to watch free television in Korea -- Part Deux

*we just had to write progress reports for the month of April; my apologies for posting late*

One thing you might have to get adjusted to while teaching English overseas in Korea is the lack of English television from back home (sure, there's AFN but I want more). Okay, some of you might not be TV junkies like us, but you only realize how much you miss TV shows from back home when you're overseas. You might have remembered my previous post about how to watch free TV in Korea. We have cable TV but the selection is lacking. That's expected when you're living in a foreign country. Well, TVU player has been written off in my books so I thought I'd add another update for all you TV fiends out there.

I'm going to keep this simple and recommend two websites for your TV viewing needs. Right now the Stanley Cup playoffs are currently underway. The Vancouver Canucks had a thrilling game 7 victory over the Dallas Stars yesterday. There was no way I could've seen that game live in Korea--until now. Thanks to a handy tip from my friend Darryn, SopCast has live streaming channels from back home. You will need to download their WebPlayer (this lets you watch within your web browser). There are lots of sports channels, network channels, and movie channels. I'm not going to get into the specifics (there's a FOX/CBC/CTV/NBC channel!), but I'll let you peruse the site to find out more.

The next website for your TV viewing needs is TV Links. This site is a junkie's dream. If you haven't heard of this already, it can be either a good thing or bad thing because once you get started you won't be able to stop watching all the streaming shows. You'll have to see what I mean when you visit their site. Currently, I'm watching 24, Prison Break, and Lost. I hope you enjoy these websites and may your butt get sore from being a couch potato. =)

I usually have a picture with every post, so here's a random food picture dug up from the recent archives--homemade breakfast (omelette, prawns, hashbrowns, salsa):

4 comments:

John from Daejeon said...

Good evening Gdog,

Just got back from a long day at the hagwon, and I am now watching the latest "Deadliest Catch," "House," and NBA playoff game thanks to the slingbox (slingbox.com) and my brother who has me connected to his satellite system and dvrs.

The Slingbox is a little over $120 U.S. and allows you to connect up to three video sources to it. All you need is high speed internet on both ends. A dvr makes it real easy to record something and watch anytime you want to. For those of you coming overseas, it is well worth the price. Just have a family member or friend get an extra satellite or cable box to hook you up to.

For those overseas already, BitComet allows you to download movies, tv shows, music, games, etc., for free. Thanks to my giant 240 gig hard drive, I've downloaded all 156 episodes of The Twilight Zone, 3 Seasons of Star Trek (66 eps.), 2 Seasons of Xena, a Season of Freaks and Geeks, The Prisoner, Simpsons, etc. You might have to search between Wtorrent, TorrentBar, and TorrentPond (BT Junkie is probably the best here) to find what you are looking for. What makes this special is that you watch on a full screen and you don't have to be connected to the internet once it has been downloaded.

Take it easy, Gdog. We are closing in on the finish line of year one.

suddenly susan said...

gdog~between you and john, looks like i will never get out of the house. thanks a lot! ^-^

Gdog said...

Hey John, thanks for writing about the world of "torrents". I was going to but I didn't bother. The best torrent application by far is uTorrent, as the program is very small and does not need to be installed on your system, taking up less resources.

susan: you're welcome...who needs to get out of the house when you can eat delivery and watch shows all day? Happy TV watching!

Darryn said...

You're welcome! dIRTy!!!

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com