Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 22 April 2007

Velociraptors at Costco

Every time we visit Costco I always end up observing something interesting. Children sleeping in shopping carts, live karaoke performances, tree planting, and ideas for dinner. Now, for all you Costco fans out there, part of the experience of making the trek to the warehouse is tasting all the samples. Why eat at the food court when you can get a balanced diet for free? Anyways, usually near the meat and poultry section there is a lady cooking steaks of Australian beef for sampling. South Korea is home to some of the world's most expensive beef prices (although that may change).

So let me tell ya, when there's free samples of steak, people will gather around and hover like a pack of wolves. Upon passing the steak at first it was about half cooked. I wasn't going to wait around to have a sample. That was until ten minutes later I saw a crowd gathering around the station--I knew I had to get in on the action. I recognized one lady who was patiently waiting around the station the moment the steak hit the grill. As people pushed and shoved their way to the front of the station, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to get this on video. I had my plastic green toothpick ready and waiting, so the moment we were given the cue it was a free for all to get delicious morsels of Australian beef.

The following scene reminded me of that scene from Jurassic Park, when the T-Rex and the velociraptors got their meals by devouring live cattle put inside the electric pens. After ten seconds of shaking in the bushes and growling sounds, there would be nothing left but bits and pieces of cartilage. That was how this little scene played out in my head:

Did you notice that dirty little trickster planted out in front just kept on eating? The little bugger stole my thunder. At least I managed to quickly pull my double poke technique and score two pieces of beef, which would probably equate to 10,000w (maybe a slight exaggeration). The unfortunate aftermath of all this? The lonely pieces of onion and green pepper left sitting idle on the grill, withering away until they are dumped into the garbage can (the food compost garbage of course).

Here's a clip of all the food eaten by dinosaurs posted on YouTube, a fitting video for this post:


imoet said...

Those hungry people really match the jurassic park video =))

Oh...do you also recognize that it's normal in Korea to eat something they haven't paid yet in the supermarket?
I saw many times children wanted to eat some snacks. The mother took the snacks, (to my surprise) opened it directly, let the children eat, and brought the empty packages to the cashier. I was so amazed that I followed them until they paid the already-eaten snacks at the cashier :p

venetia said...

hello! can you recommend any blogs about korea that is full of pictures? thanks:)

Gdog said...

imoet: Yup, I also noticed that in supermarkets here too. I would see children drinking yogurt drinks...and the empties would just be scanned at the till. Then again, I've also noticed that back home in Canada too. If you're hungry, you're hungry!

venetia: One of my favorites is the following: http://seouldailyphoto.blogspot.com/

You can also dig through my archives too as every single post of mine on this blog has photos of some sort. Enjoy.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com