Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Wednesday, 18 April 2007

The World's Largest High Heel

I mentioned before that fashion and looks play an important role in Korean society. Looks are everything here and people will not hesitate to call you handsome or pretty. Everybody is dressed to the nines just to head over to the grocery store. Fashion in Korea is huge and everybody always wants to look their best, regardless of where they are. Even my students have cute little outfits, obviously picked out by their parents (when they aren't helping their children do their homework, such as essay writing).

Anyways, during that outdoor commercial that was being filmed I also spotted the world's largest high heel. I previously posted about fashion in Korea. I mentioned how Korea is probably one of the high heel capitals of the world. Women wear them everywhere, even in the dead of winter with snow on the ground. I cannot imagine how it must feel to walk up flights of subway stairs in high heels, especially in 11cm heels...it must hurt like a _____ (fill in the blank yourself)!

Where was the other shoe hiding? Who knows...


I spotted this woman watching the spinning-men-with-plasma-TVs-video-shoot and I happened to notice her wincing in pain. Low and behold, it's those darn high heels!


This is what happens when you wear heels all day...this is a crop of the picture above. If you venture into pharmacy stores or beauty/cosmetic stores, you will see a vast array of foot care products. It only makes sense when everybody and their grandma wears high heels!


I won't be posting more about the state of Korean women and their feet problems in the near future. I need to stay on topic and post about food...and food. However, if feet are your cup of tea, head on over to feet man Seoul for all your foot care needs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmmm shoesss.... heeels....

Gdog said...

If you're in Korea, you'll see this 24/7.

blender said...

Hi, I'm an English teacher in Japan.

Reading your posts, Korea sounds a LOT like Japan in so many ways. Fashion is huge here too.

Love your site by the way! Any chance of a link exchange?

www.mikesblender.com

Cat said...

Women here wear heels with everything. I see them wearing heels with torn blue jeans, shorts, even exercise pants. It makes my feet hurt just watching ...

Civis Tactitus said...

Everyone's fashion trendy in Korea? I wonder what that's all about. And they call us Americans snobby.

imoet said...

hmmmmm
it's quite different here in Incheon. The women are so "sporty" here. They wear sportwears everywhere (including shopping mall and restaurant!!), and of course sport shoes. And usually in shocking PINK color!! I recognized it first last year, but the trend still goes on till now.
Of course there're still women in high heels. But for me, the percentage of sporty women and high heels lovers is like 70 % : 30 %

Anonymous said...

i love korean women in high heels....so sexy and beautiful.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com