Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 20 May 2007

How to Wash Your Dishes During Dim Sum

We're onto the last day of my Hong Kong food trip. So far I've managed to eat about 4-5 meals a day, which is definitely below average I would say. My last day was on a Monday and I would be taking a midnight flight back to Seoul. When I woke up my aunt and I proceeded to Olympian City Mall for dim sum. Let's take a quick look at what was on the menu, shall we?

First up we had an order of spring rolls served with a mayonnaise dip. This was an interesting way to present the spring rolls--in a plastic cup!


Any big fans of congee out there? Congee in Hong Kong is awesome, and this one was full of random animal innards. You name it, it was in here...I'm not a big fan of the intestines and stuff like that, but my aunt enjoyed it!


You can't have dim sum without "hah-gow", or shrimp dumplings!


My memory is horrible, but I've been eating this dish since I was a kid. It's chewy, delicious, and it's the lining of a cow's stomach. The Cantonese for this dish is "ow pak yeep"...hey, marinate anything in MSG for days and it will taste great!


One of my favorite dishes, Phoenix Claws (marinated chicken feet)...I can't get enough of these. Did anyone see Jay Leno eat these the other night? When his guest Andrew Zimmern brought them out for him to try as an "exotic food", I said to myself, "hey, I eat those all the time!". My mouth was actually watering!


Here we have some steamed buns that contained sesame paste inside...a nice simple dessert:


Let's get to my favorite part of dim sum dining 101--pre-washing your dishes in tea. Now, my family does this back home at some restaurants, but you will still see it happening in Richmond or any other busy dim sum restaurant. Basically you are "washing" your chopsticks, bowl, tea cup, spoon, and plate in hot tea. This will either remove excess dishwater remnants or help ease your mind. Either way, all restaurants come around with a bowl that they put on your table to dump the dirty tea into (instead of having customers randomly dumping their dirty tea everywhere):


I didn't get a video of me washing my dishes, but I did get a video of the old man sitting in front of us washing his, haha. Check this out:


What else will I have in store for my last day in Hong Kong? Well, later in the day I had a job interview so that cut into my eating time--but right after I had my afternoon tea "snack". Stay tuned for more.

4 comments:

Carl said...

Washing dishes is so pointless lol.. I can see why they did it 20 years ago or whatever.. but now, I don't see the point in doing it.

Unless the dishes do feel like they need to be cleaned.. I've come across places like that where I end up using my tea to degrease the chopsticks. But usually it's totally unnecessary.

We always get odd looks from the waitresses who take our unused dishwashing bowl from the table

Catherine June said...

Job interview in Hong Kong? Remember to update us when the right is right for you. :) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Those chicken feet look nasty.
Personally, I wouldn't eat something that probably stepped repeatedly on crap and shit.

Gdog said...

Carl: haha, yeah tell me about it, especially when you're using tea. I mean, if my dishes still have food stuck to the sides, I'd ask for a new set anyways. It's now a daily dim sum ritual for everyone.

Catherine: I'll let you know what happens...if it happens, it happens.

Anonymous: It might look daunting at first, but don't knock it till you try it. That goes for most exotic foods in the world (especially DURIAN!). ;)

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com