Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 26 May 2007

The Last Food Diary Entry from Hong Kong

This is it...the finale, the last hurrah, the finito, whatever you want to call it--the last entry of my "food vacation" to Hong Kong. In the beginning I had a goal of reporting to you every single morsel of food that entered my body. I believe we have been successful, minus some chewing gum, miscellaneous candy, grapes I had at my cousin's house, and a few sips of Coke Zero. Other than that, this should be it (oh wait, I had an ice cream cone at the airport before I returned to Seoul). Here's the list in order:

- my first "afternoon tea" snack in Hong Kong,
- then roast goose dinner,
- dessert at Hui Lau Shan,
- a pre-dim sum snack,
- dim sum for breakfast,
- Hui Lau Shan part deux,
- cow stomach noodles as an afternoon snack,
- dinner in Tsim Sha Tsui,
- dim sum dish washing rituals,
- and finally mangosteens and pork buns.

If you want to view all my Hong Kong entries on one page, you can view them here.

For this last entry, I had dinner with my aunt and a couple of my mom's friends. After hearing that I was in town they insisted on taking me out to dinner. We graciously accepted their invitation (who in their right mind would turn down a dinner invitation in Hong Kong??!) and ate in Tai Kwok Tsui, near my aunt's place. This would make it easier since I would be taking the bus to the airport afterwards to catch a red-eye flight back to Seoul.

What was on the menu? Well, we had a very nice meal that consisted of soup, fish, vegetables, and some other dishes. I didn't go trigger happy with the camera because it would have been a bit impolite I thought, but they encouraged me to take pictures. I had to really dig deep down inside and tell myself that I should enjoy this final dinner in Hong Kong and laid off the camera--for a little while at least. ;-)

Our first dish was a crispy skin chicken and damn was it good. I absolutely love free range chicken in Hong Kong, it just tastes so much better:

Here is our soup, served right out of the winter melon. The preparation of having soup served right out of the melon really brought out the flavors:

One giant fish (rock cod-like) steamed just right, and full of flavor. It's been a while since I've had steamed fish prepared like this. Does anyone out there also like eating that one piece of meat from the fish's cheek (the best piece)?

...and here is the rest of the table, with a dish of greens and a scallop stir fry near the back. All in all I had a fantastic pre-flight dinner back to Seoul. I definitely was a happy camper I would say.

Now for all you veterans that have traveled to the Hong Kong airport extensively, you probably would know that there is a Hui Lau Shan there. Anyways, I was planning to have my last dessert drink while waiting for my flight at the airport. However, I had a sudden brain fart and opted to go through security thinking HLS was on the secure side! DOH! I was pretty mad at myself since I had this wonderful plan all laid out, too bad it was poorly executed. Live and learn they say...next time...make no mistake about it, I'm having HLS at the Hong Kong airport!

After arriving in Seoul, I had the pleasure of riding on the recently completed AREX railway from Incheon to Gimpo Airport (pics and videos to come). Be sure to subscribe to my RSS feed if you haven't already so you won't miss any of my updates!


Leo said...

Oh, the fish cheek is a great delicacy! My sister and I used to fight over them all the time but the elders settled it by giving us one each.

Natasha said...

Oh I loveee the cheek too!

Gdog said...

Leo: I used to fight with my sister over the cheeks too...the early bird gets the worm.

I wonder if they only sell fish cheeks by the bag...

Jas said...

Yummmmmmmm ... miss the great food in HK and Macau!

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com