Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 30 June 2007

Eating Auntie Anne's Pretzels in South Korea

There are lots of places to buy snacks in Seoul. One thing that hit me by surprise was the large concentration of Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, Starbucks, and Coffee Bean locations on every street corner. This is to go along with the plethora of convenience stores and Krispy Kreme locations. One of the largest American pretzel chains, Auntie Anne's is highly popular in Korea and can be found within the food court of many Hyundai Department Stores.

Since I love eating food (you probably do too I assume) here are some pictures of my first Auntie Anne's pretzel. Although there are locations in Canada, there were no locations near my home in BC. Regardless, South Koreans are crazy about Auntie Anne's pretzels just like they are crazy about Krispy Kreme. There are always huge line ups for fresh pretzels! EDIT: Here's a fresh picture of their line ups taken today!


For 2000w ($2USD) you can wrap your hands around fresh baked pretzel. I didn't take a picture of the line up because I was too busy holding my place in the free-for-all line up. If you leave too much room in front of you, it's very easy to lose your place in line (beware of ajumas!). So don't be shy, rest your body on the person's back in front of you! Here's some pretzel love coming your way:


They can cut your pretzel into bite size pieces for you (most people opted for this, including us). Do they do this back home too?


Here's the bag...


...and here's the inside: my sour cream 'n onion flavored pretzel (I have also tried almond and cinnamon sugar too):


Auntie Anne's guarantees that your pretzel will be perfect--so far, no complaints from me. But if I ever run into a problem, it would be one heck of a charades game to explain the guarantee. Maybe I'll bring along the print out with me at all times (in Korean of course) just for safety's sake (or NOT!):


Sooo...any Auntie Anne's pretzel lovers out there? Are they the best pretzels ever, or what?

13 comments:

Leo said...

Yeah, we have similar places here. i haven't had it in a while but Monk's in Metrotown is always busy and I used to love eating their garlic pretzels when I was a kid and my mom used to buy it for me. Hey, I said I haven't been there in a while ;)

Jonny Q said...

Nice blog! Love the pictures and the stories, I actually stumbled upon it when searching for a gym in Korea.

My girlfriend and I are moving to South Korea to teach in September.

gn said...

I have to agree that Auntie Anne's makes the greates soft pretzels.

My favorite has to be the one coated with sesame seeds and the one with chocolate chips integrated in the pretzels. Best dip for me has to be caramel. :-)

Wow, just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Gdog said...

Leo: don't lie dude, you love your pretzels, I know you do.

jonny q: thanks for visiting. I bet you both are excited to come out here! Bring deodorant and sheets!

gn: I went to Auntie Anne's today but the line up was too freakin long so I had to leave. I'm going to post a new picture now!

Orchid said...

Oh my goodness! Look at the queue for pretzels. South Koreans must really like it.

We have Auntie Anne's pretzel's here in Malaysia too. But i've not seen lines that long waiting to buy 'em. Plus i have not tried asking them to cut it into bite size for us.

Ji Hea said...

While I do like Auntie Anne's, there's nothing quite like a soft pretzel with mustard from Philly... Btw, I don't think I've ever had pretzels cut into bite size pieces for me in the states, but I do think they've started selling specific bite-size snack options.

Liz said...

Heya gdog, yeah we have Auntie Anne's pretzels in Malaysia as well, and yes, they are really good!

My fav would be the sour cream and onion-flavoured ones so looking at the pics you put up makes me wanna go out and get one. ;-)

annamatic said...

wow, i had no idea they were so popular here. my favorite one is the garlic pretzel with the pizza sauce dip. mmmm...

Gdog said...

Orchid: Try asking for them to be cut next time...it'll be a Korean experience!

ji hea: Next time I come to Philly, I'm going to give you a call--I want to eat Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches and soft pretzels!

liz: go get yourself some pretzels, they're on me. :)

annamatic: I haven't tried the dips...maybe that'll be next for me!

Mrs J said...

dude. seriously. i luv luv those pretzels. they don't have auntie anne's where i live, so i don't get them very often anymore. they are currently reserved for when i fly out of town or some other trip to a mall in dallas. haha. but they are sooo buttery and soft. i get the plain with no salt. those are the best. man, now i'm craving one. no fair!

Anonymous said...

Wow... do you have a price list of Auntie Anne's in Korea? I hope their not expensive..

Lily said...

Omgosh. I love Auntie Anne's. I miss the cinnamon sugar pretzel! Speaking of cinnamon - I saw a Cinnabon on Jeju during a bus tour - but I couldn't make the bus stop to go get one.

I'm going to have to find Auntie Anne's this weekend!

Gdog said...

Hey all...the price of a pretzel here is about $2US. Speaking of, I'm going to get some right now!!! It's only about 10 minutes away from our place. :)

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com