Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 21 June 2007

How to Get Free Things in South Korea

When you're out wandering the streets of Seoul, there is always something to see, especially if you hit up the main attractions that have lots of people. During a recent visit to Insadong (when I took pictures of Lotus Lanterns) I found myself getting lured to every crowded stall or miscellaneous line up. What's one of the best way to get free things in South Korea?

The "monkey see, monkey do" phenomenon sure is fun, don't you agree? Just because there are a lot of people densely crowded around a stall, does that mean you should show up to investigate what's going on? OF COURSE YOU SHOULD! Anyways, our curiosity paid off as Tae and myself were able to score some free frozen yogurt and popcorn (we passed on the helium balloons)!

The streets of Insadong are always crowded on the weekends:


Waiting in line for "ice cream free" is quite the way to spend your Saturday afternoon:


Here's a video of me receiving my ice cream (it tasted like frozen yogurt):




What's the best way to cleanse your palate after downing a cup of ice cream? Free popcorn, of course (just slap up a poster of a scantily clad female and it will attract plenty of people):


Just for the heck of it, here's my popcorn video...the popcorn was salty and buttery--deeeelicious:




Finally, we have our special "ah-jahshi" (it means senior) trying to compact the garbage can at the coffee and tea station with his metal tongs (it wasn't quite effective, I just think he was bored):


Maybe my concept of "free" is not the same as yours, but I love food so getting free samples is something that I enjoy doing. We did manage to go to the top of the 63 Building for free if that counts (that was by asking nicely, hehe). What was the last "free" thing you've received lately?

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe to RSS feed so you don't miss any updates!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. As a Korean-American, I don't find Korea anywhere near this amusing. Your Korean isn't half bad, either.

Gdog said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. I just let whatever happens come to me. As for my Korean, it's still a work in progress...;)

Jon Allen said...

Shinsagae department store food hall.

They always have lots of free food tasting stands setup allowing you to taste the produce and it's not too busy so you don't get trampled in the rush as you do at some other supermarkets.

But the food is a lot more expensive there, so try to resist the temptations :)

Plenty of foreign food items too.

gn said...

oooohhhh...free food. I'm a big sucker for those. Especially when I have to run an errand at the supermarket and it seems that aisle after aisle has free food.

Whaddya know, instant snack! :-)

John from Daejeon said...

Here's something else for free, and it can be used to really spice up your blog: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-06-20-realplayer-11_N.htm

Use in moderation please, as many blogs will really start getting out of control now with this new technology.

John from Daejeon

NeoAuteur said...

Neat stuffs. I might put Korea into my list of places to visit. Look like you had a great time during the festival.

Ji Hea said...

Just discovered your blog yesterday. Currently in NYC, but heading to Mumbai then HK, and then (last but not least) Seoul. I'll be teaching English writing classes this fall and I'm getting pretty excited.
Btw, it's not just Korea that's into queues. People in HK can queue for hours to get a Snoopy dog with their McD's happy meal, and they're really patient while they're waiting, too.

Gdog said...

Hey everyone thanks for the comments! One of my favorite places to get free samples is at Costco. One time, I planted myself in front of the Philadelphia Cheesecake sample table and the ajumah slapped my hand jokingly after I ate like 5 small pieces! hehe

Helena said...

I think ajushi means "uncle." Sort of. Not like an uncle that you're actually related to, but a generic sort of uncle.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com