Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 28 July 2007

Eating the Breakfast Buffet at the Best Western Niagara

Wow, when you're not working and on vacation, it's definitely hard to set aside some time to blog! Anyways, as promised I am going to fulfill my duties (thanks to all of you who voted in my scientific mini-poll) and post the rest of my Korea adventure and more.

So right now we're holed up at the Best Western Niagara. When we saw the setup for a buffet we inquired at the front desk. They told us it was 11,000w ($11USD) per person for the "western breakfast buffet" so we were pretty curious as to what would be offered. Here is a picture of the buffet setup without food (this was taken the night before):

You're probably wondering why they call this hotel the Best Western Niagara. Well, this should answer your question--it's a waterfall type thingy in the main lobby of the hotel, right where the seating is for the restaurant. I really felt like I was at the Niagara Falls believe it or not! Honest, really! ;)

The buffet hours were from 7am-10am. We planned on eating at 8am but that didn't happen, so by the time we got downstairs it was around 9am. In other words, we got the sloppy seconds of the buffet! One dude was complaining to the staff about this problem. In his words "hey guys, there's nothing to eat on the buffet!"

So the buffet was restocked with some eggs and some other items, but it wasn't very busy so I can understand why they wouldn't want to just waste food. Here is my plate consisting of scrambled eggs, toast, fried rice, bacon (super greasy), fries, a croissant, an orange slice, a banana, and...drum roll please...KIMCHI! Wow, I had kimchi for breakfast!

I've had better hotel buffets in my years of working and dining in hotels. But, nonetheless it was better than nothing. Here we have my second plate, consisting of porridge, yogurt, a yogurt drink, seaweed, and a piece of sausage that was seared well but under cooked in the center:

They buffet also had cold cereal, assorted juices, milk, tea, and coffee. It was a decent deal for only 11,000w. For those that have worked years in a hotel like myself, it probably has ruined your dining experiences. You end up critiquing everything as if you're still at work! Anyways, I saw some folded "artichokes" near the buffet that were poorly done. I decided to fold my own "artichoke" out of my napkin just to see if I still had it--and oh boy did I ever!

On a side note, do you remember when I posted about The Simpsons Movie? Well, I saw it last night and it was absolutely hilarious! The audience consisted of everyone in their mid-20s, and it was crazy to hear grown men in front of me giggle like little school girls. If you haven't seen it, and you are a big fan of The Simpsons, I would highly recommend checking it out!


travelphilippines said...

wow all that for 11 dollars... yummmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I saw Simpsons & yeah it was funny all the way. Is that green liquid green tea? Or some hybrid green tea yogurt?

Anonymous said...

When you say that your well being is at low, do you mean that you don't feel well if you don't eat kimchi?

Many Koreans feel that way, including some of my family members - I don't.

If that's the case, you must be a real Korean by now.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com