Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Thursday, 12 July 2007

Miscellaneous Korea Blogging Update

Alright, as you may already know our one year contract teaching English in Korea in quickly coming to an end (we fly home on July 25th). One of the big questions I've been getting is "what is going to happen to your blog" post-Korea? Well, I've decided to start a poll and ask for your valued input! I wouldn't be dedicating my time to post every day if it weren't for my loyal readers out there (thanks for all the comments!).

Anyways, the poll is to the left and there are six choices. You can select more than one choice, or select them all. Just tick off whatever you think this blog should become or where it should be headed. Your input will help influence my decision on the future of this blog, once I'm back in Canada. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to drop me a line in the comments, or via email.

Oh yeah, one more thing. We will be moving into a hotel for a week before we leave, paid for by work of course. This is part of our contract to move out early, so they can prepare our existing accommodation for newly arriving teachers. So that means, after the upcoming four day weekend (July 14-17th; the 17th is Constitution Day, which we'll most likely spend packing), posts might be delayed temporarily since I will no longer have unfettered access to the internet (which might be a good thing).

So, what are you waiting for? Speak your mind, like the following picture (McDonald's breakfast--it's so hard to make it there in time):


Anonymous said...

Gdog, I was wondering if you have been to the public bath house in Korean yet. Also have you have tried eggs that they sale either the public bath house or saunas one of those.
What would you be missing in Korea when you return to Canada?

Laura said...

I'm just wondering if you could express your overall feelings about teaching in Korea. Have you enjoyed it? Would you ever consider going back again? Worst/best things about it?
My blog is
There are only about 3 entries in there so far, because I'm not even in the country yet. :)
I've enjoyed what I've read here very much so far! :)

Lily said...

I'm voting but I want to vote for more than one choice. More Korea stories, teaching resource, food at home, personal stuff =D I'm interested in all of it.

So um. basically, regardless I'll keep reading.

I'm curious about the bath house as well. I really want to go to one sometime soon.

I hope your move goes smoothly and I'm sure you're looking forward to going back home. :)

Anonymous said...

Your poll adds up to over 100% for some odd reason.

I'd like to read more Korean stories - who could possibly be interested in the life of a Canadian? :p

daeguowl said...

While everyone is asking questions I thought I'd ask one myself. I know you are there with you partner...I wanted to know if the year has tested your relationship in any way, and if she has enjoyed the year as much as you seem to have done.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences in Korea. It would be great if you could keep your blog intact for the next few months, possibly until the end of this year. :) I think there are a lot of good Korean blogs but mostly from those that have been in Korea for some time. I am KoreAm and will be visiting Korea late summer/Fall and find it to be a great newcomer's guide to visiting Korea and hitting the hot spots, for food and other attractions that you have mentioned.
Thanks for blogging!

Mika said...

Hello!... I'm inviting to please join The ViralTags Matrix. It's better than memes.


Try it. And watch your backlinks grow. Have fun!

George Bailey Sees The World! said...

Hey, Gary - keep writing - I will be curious to know how your planning for your next adventure goes :)

Gdog said...

anonymous: I haven't tried the public bath houses in Korea, but I have used the showers at a gym, where they have communal bars of soap in every stall!
As for missing Korea, there are definitely some things I will miss (some great people I have met, transportation, galbi, naengmyeon to name a few), and some things I will not (dodging people and cars where ever I go!).

Lily: Thanks for always commenting...I'll definitely keep you updated!

anonymous: the poll adds up to over 100% because people are able to vote on more than one choice. By the way, you're funny. ;)

daeguowl: nice question. Here's your response: nope, our relationship has not been tested, I think it's grown stronger in Korea. As for her Korean experience, after traveling and living in Southeast Asia, she says she has had a good time here, but likes other countries better.

Anonymous: thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely keep on blogging.

George: thanks man, oh and by the way we still need to have that mario kart battle!

Anonymous said...

just keep blogging and reflecting. you have a nice quirky sense. although there's not so much quirkiness in canada, but maybe we canucks are quirky? ever been to a ham church supper?

John from Daejeon said...

Adios Gdog, and thanks for allowing us to go along on your adventures.

It's funny that you should mention not missing dodging buses, trucks, cars, motorcycles/bikes/mopeds, bicycles, and people. After a quick trip to see Harry Potter on Wednesday morning before class, I happened to hit a van speeding through a red light with my bicycle. I would have stopped in time had my front tire not been rather flat.

The dirver was clearly at fault and did stop to see if I was alright, but promptly freaked out when he saw all the blood gushing from my severly scraped knees and legs. He wanted to rush me to the nearest hospital, but I made sure all of my parts were in working order while quite a crowd gathered. It seemed that the impact looked really bad, and they thought I would have been hurt much worse than I was.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I had strained my shoulder and tore a muscle in my back when I cartwheeled over the bike and into the side of the van. I felt the pain that night though. It was an accident, and I should have really made sure that there would be no red light runners before trying cross the intersection.

After going to the pharmacy, the students had a blast watching my suffering as I, with their help, tried to clean and bandage my wounds. They then admonished me for not taking money from the old man for my suffering and not having AIG.

It also looks like I will be sticking around a while longer. After an informal survey of my classes, it seems that I will be missed if I leave (This is odd since when I arrived, these kids were upset because I wasn't as cool and fun as their last native teacher who mostly talked in Korean and played nonstop games with them. Now, I even have some asking for English word game related extra homework--word searches).

Some of the more, er...difficult students overheard news of my impending departure and have been rather upset. It's great to see how these kids have actually come to like, and even learn in, my class. The bosses would like me to stay, and I guess today we will go over the details to see that it happens.

daeguowl said...

That's good that you have both had a great time here. Will you both be coming on the 22nd?

Gdog said...

daeguowl: I will be attending, Devante is a maybe as she has tentative plans that day. I guess we'll hear back from Jon when he returns from Japan!

imoet said...

Keep writing, Gdog!!! I always enjoy your story, and will always do (^____^)

laura said...

Just found your blog. Very interesting.
Mmmmm McDonalds Breakfast. The only times I've had it here in Korea is before going home Sunday mornings. Best time for it. :) One morning we even had to sit around and wait for them to start serving at 5. Interesting to watch short Korean girls changing the signs.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com