Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 7 July 2007

Transformers the Movie + Corn Ice Cream = Wow

So in keeping up with the recent humid and hot weather, here's something that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Today is Saturday and we had to work! Yes, I know...working on Saturday sucks, BUT there is a good reason for this. When the Constitution Day holiday falls on the 17th, we'll get the 16th off as well, giving us a four day weekend!

Today at school I had 9 students show up for my first class and only ONE student for my last class. I can't imagine showing up for three hours at your English academy on a Saturday, but that's student life in Korea. Oh, might I add that on every other week, most students attend school on Saturdays. So I had kids that came straight from school after leaving school. FUN FUN FUN!

After work, we headed to the Megabox to watch Transformers. This blockbuster pulled in almost $28 million on its opening night, on a Tuesday (the biggest Fourth of July opening ever, beating out the $22 million Spiderman 2 made in 2004). It raked in $12.4 million in South Korea on its opening day alone. Although the storyline was a bit cheesy at points, I thought it was an entertaining movie. The dialogue was pretty funny and the first half of the movie made for some good laughs. The CGI was amazing and overall the special effects looked incredible.

Prior to the movie, we headed to GS25 for some ice cream. When I saw an ice cream that had corn advertised on it, I had to give it a try (thanks to inspiration from ZenKimchi's corn ice cream experience). I thought this was the same ice cream that Joe had tried, but it was different. This definitely ranks up there with the funky ice cream (think of the pig in a tuxedo bar) in Korea. Let's take a look at the pictures!

Here's the packaging with a picture of a corn cob and some animated niblets. Sponsored by GS25:


After taking my first bite, I realized the ice cream did not taste like corn at all. It was just vanilla flavored ice cream with bits of chewy, dehydrated corn mixed in. Hmm...the taste was very unique I must say. Who would've thought, corn + ice cream?


After taking a second bite I ran into some more corn. The little buggers were getting stuck at the back of my teeth. Anyways, here's a picture of a corn niblet so you can see what I'm talking about--yes, I took this out of my mouth and placed it on the bar. That's dedication, baby (it could also be disgusting, but come on, it's picture-worthy):


Have you seen Transformers? What did you think of the movie?

12 comments:

Leo said...

Make sure you chew the corn properly because it comes out the same way it goes in ;)

Sandra said...

We saw the movie and liked it a lot. :)

John from Daejeon said...

Hi Gdog,

I'm a bit older than you are and remember watching my favorite cartoon "Transformers" as a young kid. This is only the second time in my life that I have considered walking out of the movie theater.

The cartoon was "all" about TRANSFORMERS, not about wasting most of a movie on idiotic kids (one of whom just happened to be selling the main plot device on ebay at the exact same moment that an evil Transformer decideds to attack an airbase searching for said plot device), an indefensible plot (come on, moving Megatron from the Arctic Circle in 1938 and keeping him frozen all the way from there to Hoover Dam in the sweltering desert south of Las Vegas (when the technology to do so did not exist and try keeping that a secret), inept Section Seven, the CIA/NSA hiring punk high school hackers from Australia [the best seem to be from China/Russia, esp. if you want the latest and best in illegal downloads], and instead of fighting away from civilization in the desert where the robots could be nuked, they fought in downtown L.A. endangering millions. And, the transformers acting like buffoons around the house was insulting to my love of the series. If I didn't see it in South Korea, I would have demanded my money back at the box office for wasting over two hours of my life and stomping all over my childhood memories. But, to each their own.

Again, back in the day, before broadband, in the days of Prodigy and CompuServe, I did have one of the first blogs, per se. It not only ended up costing me my job, but I nearly ended up in prison. Hard to believe that that was 15 years ago.

I have started posting my views on TV here at TV Guide: http://community.tvguide.com/blog/Tvmy-Best-Friend/700157956

You know of my love for all things TV.

BTW, Right now it looks like I will be extending my stay in the vastly overstated and oversold (judging by most ESL jobs boards) South Korea. Well, I guess there are hagwons on every other street corner, so you really shouldn't be walking for more than ten minutes, but how can every position be fabulous and with a beautiful apartment abutting beautiful mountains or beaches? Most days it's tough to see the next apartment across the alleyway.

I'm torn between my current position and that of a university job with less hours and a bit more money out in the boonies. I would love to actually teach people who want to learn, but I do like my boss, his family, and most of the students (my boss spent the night with me at the hospital when I had my emergency appendectomy). Everything is very convenient here (3 minutes to work and 8 to Costco), and I really know this town of nearly 2 million like the back of my hand. I travel everywhere by bicycle. My boss even agreed to give me a two week vacation at the end of August, and some of the more difficult students (who have gotten much better during my stay) are quite vocal in my staying.

I have a week to decide and talk to my boss about any upgrades to the contract I may require. I'm not in it for the money, so if he pays my trip back to the U.S. and provides a small raise, I'll stick around Daejeon.

The worst part of the hagwon system is that the kids come and go so frequently. Maybe about 35% are some of the same kids that I started with about 10 1/2 months ago. Luckily, other than a few bad apples, the job is actually quite easy with no testing or grading required on my part. However, encouraging participation is pretty tough in a couple of classes and was making me doubt my abilities in the classroom. I was worried that I really sucked when I first arrived as a couple of kids dropped out because I wasn't as fun, and talking in Korean like the previous teacher. Now, the owners want to take me on their family vacation this August.

Being needed, and appreciated, are truly great feelings, but having a child who was at first struggling, and uncaring, in class, and is now one of the better students feels even better. She, and her classmates, had me choked up because the they know my contract is almost up and they were begging me to stay and live in Korea with them at the end of class and after a difficult lesson to boot.

Sorry, about the extreme length of this comment.

Gdog said...

Leo: thanks for always pointing out the things I forgot to mention. Ahh, the joys of eating corn! ;)

Sandra: Yup, I enjoyed the movie too. So many people called it a dud, it wasn't that bad. It's TRANSFORMERS for crying out loud!!

John: I also remember watching the Transformers series on TV and playing with Transformers myself. With movies like Transformers and Spiderman, you just have to give them a little bit of leeway for having crazy story lines and cheesiness! They are based on cartoons!

Anonymous said...

I remember playing with Transformers and watching them on TV, but i'll wait for the movie to come on on DVD. I heard a lot of mix reviews.
When will you been done teaching in Korea? Did they offered you to stay? Are you going to teach anywhere else?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I don't think they sell that in the States. It would be interesting to try.
Anyways, I noticed that you commented on a problogger post about blog comments. I wanted to drop you a note and tell you about ClickComments. It engages the 95% of your readers that never comment. With one click they can comment. Easier commenting means you will get more commenters. Try it out.

http://www.postreach.com/static/clickcomments

Regards,
The PostReach team

Ed Lau said...

Eeeww...corn in ice cream?

...but then again, there's weirder things in Asia.

Renato said...

Let me tell you: in Brasil, we have a lot of food made out of corn. Cakes, breads, juice, sweets and, obviously, ice cream. However, in the juice and ice cream we never put the grains, so everything is smoother. And I can tell you that it's really good, mainly the ice cream (better know in the cream form).

Gdog said...

Ed: Yeah, this definitely would be an eye opener to someone who has not been exposed to the interesting things in Asia.

Renato: I would love to visit Brasil and its beaches and to eat the food! Thanks for commenting.

Katie said...

Are you sure that is corn and not a tooth?

Just kidding. It does remind me of a combo I learned (for some reason) as a girl scout: popcorn and ice cream. But that was popcorn, not ... raw corn...

cibol said...

I'm a big fan of transformers .. I think it's a nice movie with lotsa actions going on .. but on one note, I just wished that the movie would actually put more emphasize on the robots itself rather than the human. after all, it's a transformers movie not about sam witwicky. :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha! makes me long for a kimchi donut, or some spaghetti with sweet and sour sauce on it. ha ha koreans sure do love those weird foods.

green tea ice cream though, now that was a good idea.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com