Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 19 August 2007

My First Meal Back in Canada

Okay, so we've landed at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) from Seoul via Air Canada and we couldn't be happier to be back in BC! Upon stepping out of the plane, we were ecstatic to breathe in mouthfuls of fresh air and see blue sky! You never realize how great it is to be home until you've lived abroad.

We cleared Canada Customs without a hitch, waited a while for our overweight bags to hit the conveyor belts, connected our bags to our flight back to Victoria, then proceeded to find my sister who was going to meet us for lunch. Our flight back to Vancouver Island would be another four hours away--what could we do to kill time? You guessed it, EAT!

Here's a tip for those getting picked up from YVR--head to the upper level where the departures are to get picked up if you don't have any big bags (ours were checked), it's a bit easier and there's less traffic. We waited by the Fairmont Hotel:


It sure was weird seeing my sister after one year! Anyways, we were quickly whisked away into the heart of Richmond to get some lunch. Our place of choice today? Tsim Chai Noodles, located across the street from the Richmond Public Market:


We had been craving Chinese food for the longest time (I had my mini-fix in Hong Kong) so I had already "pre-ordered" what I wanted to eat months before I left Seoul! How about that? Here we have some beef in black bean sauce on broad rice noodles...and some gai lan in the background:


I was longing for these crispy garlic and chili pepper seasoned chicken wings...


...to go along with our iced "yeen yeun" (iced coffee/tea) and iced lemon tea (HK style!):


We also had some of my sister's wonton noodles to finish off our lunch. Man, food never tasted so good! It was really weird being able to understand what everyone was saying around me...you never realize how nice (or annoying) it is to hear English (or Cantonese)! So after gouging on all this Chinese food, we went back to my sister's place where she offered us some of the following:

Large BING CHERRIES!


BLUEBERRIES!


Wow, we were so surprised to see these berries because we had gone cold turkey for one year (except for making my tofu smoothies)! It was very nice to eat fruit that I've missed. Who would've thought cherries and blueberries would taste so good?

So there you have it, this is part of my ongoing series of posts about life back in Canada, post Korea. Currently we are living a "retired" life in Richmond, enjoying the finest food that is available in BC. Stay tuned for more updates! If there is anything you want to suggest that I write about, please feel free to post a comment and I'll try my best to accommodate your request.

However, being retired has me spending time outside and away from the computer, actually doing things and interacting with humans. Therefore my posting rate might dip down a bit, but of course you can count on me to keep writing about Korea and other miscellaneous items I stuff down my throat (E.G. a $7 frozen durian, as opposed to $17 in Seoul). ;)

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Those cherries look great. And I like the kimchi in a bag from your flight.

Orchid said...

Gdog,

I am surprised to read that upon reaching home, you head for Chinese food first. I thought you would be missing a nice juicy steak or mashed potatoes. Some kind of Western meal. :-)

You like durians? In Msia you get them aplenty during durian season. No frozen ones...but freshly opened durians! You can go to the durian plantation / farms and pick which fruit you want. They open it in front of you, and you can eat till your hearts content. They are even shops by the roadside when you travel up or down peninsula Malaysia. You just stop your car, and squat by the roadside and eat the rich, thick, sweet, fragrant (some say smelly) durians. It's the King of the fruits here in Msia! We love our durians. =)

Orchid said...

Oh durians are cheap here when in season. They have such things as durian buffet - where you pay RM10 (USD3) and eat all you want!

$17 for frozen durian in Seoul? Gosh so expensive.

Anonymous said...

How were they in comparison to the restaurant food in Korea?

Gdog said...

Orchid: Being Chinese, I never thought I would crave Chinese food, but I did! I also love steak and potatoes though ;)

Yep, I think I have an addiction to durians. We can buy frozen ones here for $0.77/pound, or $6/pound for fresh ones. I really enjoy opening them, it's like panning for gold. I am jealous that you guys get fresh durians in Msia! How much does it cost in US dollars for one?

Anonymous: I would say I enjoy Chinese food more than Korean--it's much tastier, but that's probably because of the MSG and such. Both flavors are very unique but I love Chinese food more!

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com