Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 15 September 2007

Feeling Like I'm in Korea in Canada

Have you ever had one of those "where am I?" moments? Well, sometimes crazy people have these moments all the time (I am not crazy, although my sister would think otherwise). After arriving back from South Korea near the end of July, we've had a lot of time to rejuvenate ourselves by breathing in mouthfuls of fresh, crisp air and eat a variety of fresh, tantalizing meals. But after living in Korea for a year somethings just tend to stick in your mind--and when I mean stick, I'm talking about seeing these things everyday.

Well, we were pleasantly surprised when we spotted a few of the following items here in British Columbia. We weren't jumping and screaming but had more of a subtle "OMG how did this get here?!" look on our faces! Let's get started, shall we?

We spotted two of these items inside Richmond Center, a large shopping mall located in Richmond (a municipality of Vancouver), BC. First off, walking into the mall we were shocked to find this near the entrance--complimentary umbrella bags! For those in Korea you're probably used to this by now. I never thought I'd see this back home!


Numero deux, looky looky what do we have here? Am I inside a subway station 1000ft underground? Am I walking the streets of Myeongdong? Nope, guess again! What a surprise to see THEFACESHOP back home. There are approximately 1,375,366,988 THEFACESHOP stores in Korea--and that's in Seoul alone. It's only outnumbered by the 2,923,889,322 Dunkin Donuts locations. Devante wanted to go inside but I stopped her. Disaster averted--for now.


Vancouver is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world, and that being said I knew I was going to see tubs of 고추장 (gochujang--spicy red pepper paste) in a store--it was only a matter of time. Well, low and behold, I spotted these tubs inside an Asian food market located inside another mall nearby. I know it's not the famous 고추장 brand you see around Korea, but that brand can probably be found in Coquitlam, home of a very large Korean population (or Chinatown):


So, there you have it. A little bit of Korea back in Canada. Now, excuse me while I go eat a few tubs of gochujang like digging into a tub of neopolitan ice cream. Laters.

5 comments:

Carl said...

So is 고추장 the stuff they use that makes ALL Korean food taste exactly the same?

John from Daejeon said...

Damn, now I'm craving Dunkin Donuts. Luckily, I'm back here in South Korea and there's one on every corner next to all the English hagwons. After one tough week, I can't believe I signed up for another year, but only 49 more weeks to go.

Any news on the job front, or are you two still blissfully unemployed?

Jon Allen said...

There's a Korean food section in our local Mitsukoshi department store in Tokyo. Plenty of Kimichi there.

There's also lots of Korean bars and restaurants. The Japan times did a feature on some this weekend. I was going to do a blog post on it, but I'm too lazy!

Carolyn said...

you should walk around robson and seymour area.. and you will feel you are in seoul too.. cos there is h-mart and bunch of korean international students.

Gdog said...

Carl: haha...it's one of the most used ingredients in Korean food!

John: Good to hear from ya, we're still blissfully unemployed (well put). :)

Jon: Sounds like you're enjoying Japan!

carolyn: Yeah I've seen the Korean restaurants around Robson..I want to visit Coquitlam and see what it's all about there. Thanks for posting!

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com