Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Wednesday, 5 September 2007

The Gap Clothing Store in Korea

During our last month in Korea, as we were wandering through the busy streets of the Myeongdong shopping district, we noticed a huge billboard that was advertising the opening of Korea's first GAP clothing store. Well, it's now the first week of September so this store should be open by now. Apparently this influx of foreign clothing is worrying the minds of national clothing retailers. Koreans are very nationalistic and will do anything to protect their domestic markets (think of Carrefour and Walmart's exit; don't forget the throwing-of-a-pile-of-dung during beef protests--visit Flying Cows Consulting for you first job in Korea!).

Don't trip now...


The Chosunilbo announces that Banana Republic stores will also be opening (or have already opened) in Korea. These stores are hopefully going to penetrate the middle class market, typically people who want quality made clothes for decent prices. Clothes in Korea can be very expensive. If you're out for high end brands, so if you're going over there to teach English I would suggest you bring some clothes from back home if you want to save moolah.

I must admit, it was challenging trying to find clothes in Korea. For starters, most clothes would not fit me because I am so freakn' tall. Second, the clothes that I did like were way overpriced. I didn't want to battle the crowds in Dongdaemun (or go late night shopping) so what is a person supposed to do? I could buy for cheap in the subway stations but eventually these items would fall apart. Hey, 10,000w only goes so far ya know!

I love Myeongdong because I can always look forward to spotting campus couples--and snapping their pics!


Soo...have you been to the GAP yet? Send me some pictures!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Banana Republic stores in Korea are not for the middle class. They are more expensive then the stores in the U.S.......it's outrageous

Gdog said...

Banana Republic is bloody expensive everywhere...although I went to an outlet store and they had a 50% off sale. So only go to the outlets, people!!

fusion boutique said...

Just curious where in myeong dong was the GAP going in? Also I saw a big billboard sign outside the department store at Express Bus Terminal? Thanks for the help!

Gdog said...

fusion: Thanks for commenting! I saw this GAP sign beside the Bean Pole in Myeongdong...it's right beside the store. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I usually do my clothes shopping at Garibong. It was there sometime in 2004 that I saw my first GAP outlet. The store where I saw it wasn't devoted to GAP, though, unlike the place in Myeongdong. A number of brands were featured. However, your article is a bit misleading to suggest a sudden influx of foreign clothes is upon us. Garibong's GAP outlet shifted, and I think a small version of it is now in the Mario 1 building.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Costco go into Korea and do quite well there? I don't live in Korea (I live in Los Angeles) but I believe Koreans like high quality items more than they care about prices. That would account for Wal-Mart failing over there.

Anonymous said...

I love Gap store...I like to visit this store....

Darcie said...

Hello! 안녕하세요!

I'm preparing to move to Seoul from the U.S. this summer for a new job teaching English. I'm worried because, well, I've heard I may have trouble finding clothing and shoes in my sizes.

In U.S. sizes, I wear a size 6 pant, size 4 dress, and size S/M top. My shoes tend to be 9/9.5 (and, well, sadly they are more wide than narrow...). I realize this is an odd request, but can you tell me whether it will be hard to find clothing in my sizes? I can't find a definite answer anywhere.

감사합니다! Thank you so much!

Gdog said...

darcie: It can take some time to adjust to clothing sizes, but it's better to be safe and bring some clothes from home to start off. :)

Anonymous said...

Clothes should be no problem. There are plenty of western clothing stores like Gap, American Apparel and Uniglo and Korean sizes should fit fine. Shoes are a different story. I wear a 7/7.5 and they told me my feet were big. The biggest size I have seen is 250 which is about an 8.

Geetha said...

You'd mentioned that you were really tall in your post...just wanted to know exactly how tall? And what do you do for shoes in that case? This is just for my curiosity since I'm tall too...I'm about 178 cm tall and my shoe size is a little over 43...I was wondering how'd I manage if I had to stay in a place like Korea...

Anonymous said...

Help! I live in the US but my son is now a professor at a university in Seoul. I would love to get a gift certificate to him for his birthday. I understand there are Banana Republic stores in Seoul. If anybody has a suggestion for how I can get it to him so that the local store will honor it, please e-mail me at soderholm2@frontiernet.net. I have already called Customer Service here and they can't help. Thanks......

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Do any of you know if there are boutiques like Kitson, Lisa Kline etc... in korea?
The stores I mentioned are in LA and are very much celebrity driven.

surat said...

Nice blog,i liked it

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com