Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Monday, 24 September 2007

Maximizing Your Experience at Cold Stone in Korea

It seems like it was just yesterday that I visited the Jongno area in downtown Seoul, and stumbled upon the first Cold Stone Creamery location in Korea. Cold Stone doesn't have any locations in Canada, so my only other taste of this cold treat was from a previous visit to the USA. Anyways, to our delight we were ecstatic to have come across a Cold Stone location in Seoul.

Let's fast forward eleven months later, as once again we just so happened to be in the Jongno area and made another trip to Cold Stone. During this time, another location had opened up in Mokdong, literally five minutes away. I'm not a huge fan of Cold Stone, as their ice cream is much too sweet for my liking. On top of that, they always skimp on the toppings (reminds me of Red Mango; it's like if they give you more than one teaspoon of topping they'll get the axe or something) when they make your frozen concoction. Today, I'm going to show you how to maximize your experience at Cold Stone in Korea.

This is nothing special, but on this particular visit we had previously stuffed our faces full of samgyeopsal's superior half-brother, "ohgyeopsal" (is that even right? more on this incredible pork dinner later; how many times have I said that but never followed up? haha). All you have to do is tell your ice cream artist that this time around, you're going to get serious and would like some more toppings. No skimping today friends, since you're paying almost 4000-7000w for an order of ice cream (for the freaks out there--go for the waffle cone).

Anyways, this works much better if you can speak Korean, so in order for this to be extra effective, make your Korean friends be the guinea pig by doing your dirty work for your ice cream dreams. So after my Korean friends were able to talk some sense into the worker about my previous ice cream woes, I was surprised to see the crazy amount of berries added to my order:

I guarantee you that without making a comment about the lack of toppings prior to placing your order, you will NEVER see so many toppings on your order!! Test it out and prove me wrong! It ain't gonna happen I tell ya!

That girl in the middle is working her pipes mixing together my ice cream:


...ahhh, the end result! Now this is the way Cold Stone should be...in fact, I thought there were too many berries in my ice cream...LOL:


How can a visit to Cold Stone Creamery be without a Cold Stone jingle in Korean? This is quite funny because there is no tipping in Korea, but there is a tip bucket/jar inside Cold Stone locations. When someone leaves a tip, the staff go postal on all the occupants inside the store and start spitting Cold Stone-inspired rhymes in Korean:


A Cold Stone Creamery mishap caught in action: this employee knocked over a tub of dirty used spoons that landed into the ice cream below! She picked the spoons out and left the ice cream as is...uhhh...yummy!


Looking for the Cold Stone Creamery in Jongno? Look for this giant piano on the ground and you'll have no trouble finding the location. In other words, I only remember this piano as the way to Cold Stone in Jongno...just ask someone where to find the piano!

7 comments:

Orchid said...

Cold Stone? I've only heard of Hot Stone until reading this entry of yours. The concept sounds very interesting! And the ice-cream creations look absolutely yummy. Except i don't like ice-cream that is too sweet. :-)

Anonymous said...

there's a marble slab creamery in victoria and downtown vancouver which is like cold stone

Anonymous said...

You didn't get enough ice cream. Here in the U.S. they fill the cup or waffle up. In order to get your money worth.

Gdog said...

Orchid: You'll have to fill me in about Hot Stone. What is it?

Anonymous: I've seen and tasted Marble Slab Creamery, it's like a Canadian Cold Stone but it doesn't taste the same.

Anonymous: Yeah, the portions in Korea are not massive like in the US. I remember ordering Cold Stone at a Phx Suns basketball game, and the two of us had difficulty finishing it!

Aaron said...

Funny, the only Coldstone in which I've ever been was in the Phoenix area, too (I'm from Oregon). I still don't understand why they need to beat the stuffing out of my ice cream before they hand it over. It seems like a gimmick to me, and one to which I can't see the attraction. Am I missing something?

apron said...

hey! how are u? are u happy over there?! how is the weather? is there cold?!! keep in touch and take care. wish u are happy and have wonderful life!
----------------------Dr.park-----

Audrey said...

i LOVE desserts. therefore, i really enjoyed this dessert blog(as well as the cafe iMA waffles one, yum!)

i'm from Northern California, and I personally prefer Coldstone over frozen yogurt. That's kind of ironic because I work at a Red Mango here.

Also it's funny, seeing as to how Koreans loove their Red Mango so much despite the fruits being, well.. just canned/paste fruits. Not even fresh, but I guess that's how it goes if mangos cost thirty something for one. Lol.

Oh yeah, over here the mangos are approx. same price as in your local place.

I was actually in Japan December 08 to Jan 09, and they sold a basket of strawberries for like $14 ! Crazy prices for fruits in Asia. GOod thing I live in USA, bcuz I can not live without fruits. :)

Also, WOWOWOW your blog is amazing.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com