Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Sunday, 14 October 2007

How to Unlock Your 8GB Apple iPhone

Hey folks, don't worry, I am still alive and well in case you're wondering. The slow updates have been for a reason--it's because I've been enjoying my current retired life at the moment. Let's see...what have I been up to these past few days?

Thursday: drove down to Seattle to eat once again at Chipotle and to do some Fall shopping (aka the 8GB Apple iPhone, or the "Jesus Phone" as referred to by some).

Friday: ...hmm...what did I do? Looked all day at my locked iPhone with firmware version 1.1.1; Scoured the net for guides to unlock--but the complex guides made it difficult to risk tampering with the phone and bricking it. I saw this screen all day:

Saturday: Dot Com Pho once again with local bloggers. I received my copy of 7 Strategies for Trading Forex that I won from John Chow! Felt inspired by a recent detailed guide for newbies on how to unlock your iPhone with firmware version 1.1.1!

Sunday: As I'm trickling into the wee hours of the morning following this unlocking guide step by step, I am amazed at what these iPhone hackers can do. The steps are somewhat complicated but require intense concentration. Sweating on my brow occurs. Finally, seeing this image on the phone brought tears of joy in the early hours of the morning. Freedom baby!

Long story short, if you have a new 8GB iPhone it will most likely come with version 1.1.1 firmware. The "jailbreak" and "unlock" for this is out, but the instructions are extremely complex. I went with this guide that downgraded my firmware to the old version, 1.0.2 which enabled me to then "jailbreak" (bypass the AT&T activation to use the iPhone) and "unlock" (use the phone with any GSM carrier) the phone.

A few tips:
- rename "secpack" inside the zipped archive, then extract it afterwards to upload to your phone via iBrickr. I had some hanging issues when I got to step 13 to run "ieraser" but after I did some scouring of the net I found a solution.
- I unlocked using iUnlock instead of AnySIM
- these unlock tutorials by mokujin21 will help out
- If you don't understand what the heck this post is about, you have every right to call me crazy--I don't even know what I'm talking about!

What makes this phone so amazing? Well, I would have to say one of its strong points is the built in Safari web browser that renders web pages exactly the same way as they would look on your computer. You can view web pages in landscape or portrait mode, with the ability to zoom in and out and all that jazz. Check out my blog on the iPhone in landscape...

...and portrait mode:

We have booked some tickets to do some traveling! We will be heading to New York (holy smokes are hotels expensive during this time of the year), London (I'm going to visit the Queen), and then Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah (again!). So in the meantime, I will continue to update this blog with my Korea stories and other miscellaneous tidbits I can throw into the mix.

If you haven't already, you should strongly consider subscribing to my full feed RSS
(What is RSS? Explained here)--this way my blog updates will come to you instead of the other way around. Give it a try!


Hoyun said...

yay, NY my neck of the woods

Gdog said...

hoyun: nice...any spots you recommend that we visit in NYC? Hook it up!! What are the "secret" spots in town?

Anonymous said...

Is iPhone really better than the conventional phones or is it just the design?

I doubt that it will do well in battery life b/c it has to power the entire screen.

Gdog said...

I think the strengths of the iPhone definitely are in the screen and its ease of use. Also, to have an all in one device that can carry your music, movies, videos, etc is really appealing in a slim design.

The web browser is by far the best experience on a cellphone...it's like using a computer!

Of course every cellphone has its shortfalls, but in this case I think the pros outweigh the cons...you can't have everything in a cellphone but this one is close enough!

Anonymous said...

if you need a cheap(ish) hotel try the pod hotel. we got a bunkbed room for 90 a night plus tax. it's a bit squished but it's really only for sleeping. _amanda

Leo said...

I heard that you can't do any critical (official) updates if your iPhone is hacked. So I would be careful.

Gdog said...

amanda: thanks for the tip, we'll look into that.

leo: Yeah, most people who foolishly updated their hacked iPhones to the recent update ended up with a brick. Sometimes you just have to sit back and let everything work itself out.

annamatic said...

have fun in NYC! don't listen to what the manhattansnobs and the hipsters tell you, the best food is in queens... check chowhound's outer borough boards for tips...
a trip along the 7 train line will take you through almost every cuisine in the world: chinese and korean in flushing; vietnamese and thai in elmhurst; a full range of south american in jackson heights and corona... mmm...

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com