Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Wednesday, 14 November 2007

The Breakdown of a Chinese Dinner in Richmond

It's been a while since I've posted about food back home, so why not take a look at what we had for my dad's recent birthday dinner in Richmond? For the past two months he's been coming over from Victoria to practice for his entry in a Pro-Am ballroom dance competition! He placed 1st and 2nd in the two heats he entered...way to go dad!

Let's break down what happens at a typical Chinese dinner (well in my family anyways). Since it was a birthday celebration for my dad (and my sister's BF), we decided to have some king crab (read about my king crab in Seoul experience here). First things first, the waiter will always bring you a crab to "display" it at the table. It's like deciding on a bottle of wine and having the server show you the bottle before he opens it--except sometimes I wonder if the crab you picked is the actual one they serve you! Next time, I'm going to initial each leg and the shell with a Sharpie to make sure...


Our appetizer consisted of BBQ roast pork surrounded by jellyfish:


After having some soup (which I forgot to take a picture of), the steamed king crab finally arrived (1 of 2 plates). You can have your king crab steamed in a variety of ways, but one of the most popular is having each leg absolutely smothered in minced garlic. Note to self: garlic makes your breath smell like garlic!


Usually the king crab is prepared in a variety of ways. Another popular way to cook other parts of the crab is to have it deep fried and stir fried with salt and spicy peppers.


Next up, a simple dish of baby bok choy...


...followed by some crispy skin chicken...


I am a big fan of honey garlic pork (and sweet and sour pork, haha) so I requested this one baby!


It's a bird! It's a plane! Err...nope, just the Chinese waiter serving us the cake that we brought for dessert. Usually the guy will get everyone to start singing Happy Birthday...even in Cantonese or Mandarin. I tried to get him to go solo American Idol style (like Korean taxi drivers) with the Cantonese version but I was shunned! That's it buddy, no tip for you!


This cake was a multilayer cake made with fresh fruit. Thinly sliced mangoes topped with cantaloupe, honeydew, and strawberries. Chinese people love their fruit on cakes (as do Koreans!). Complimentary dessert soup was also served:


The cake...


These little buggers are steamed pastries filled with lotus seed paste. They are served on birthdays. It's like a birthday cake, but it's steamed bun filled with paste instead.


So there you have it, a night out for dinner with my family along with a small breakdown of dinner and how it can be served.

Remember that contest I entered to win a copy of Halo 3: Legendary Edition? Guess who won? That's right baby--ME! LOL! The funniest part is that I entered on the last day. Leo has been waiting for me to post up pictures of the tshirts he sent me a billion years ago (which I will, don't worry hehe). I have a feeling I might never see my copy of Halo 3...maybe by the time I win an XBOX 360, it will arrive just in time for me to play it. ;)

I've had some luck with my prizes, so it's going to be my chance to give something away coming up fairly soon. This prize definitely will appeal to all the Korea lovers out there. Stay tuned for more info!

4 comments:

Michael Woo said...

Hey Nice food :) Making me hungry..

Gdog said...

Thanks for visiting Michael--the dinner was pretty good!

Apoorv Khatreja said...

A nice and informative article!

John said...

I really enjoyed your blog and nice pictures. Thank you for letting me take a virtual trip to Korea.

John

http://johnfultz.blogspot.com

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com