Welcome! How to Use This Blog...

Step 1: Teaching in Korea FAQ
Step 2: Read The Top Posts of 2006
Step 3: How to Find a Job Teaching in Korea

Saturday, 3 November 2007

Where To Buy (or eat) Puppies in Seoul

So wayyy back, the corporation we have all known to love/loathe/hate, Walmart, used to be in South Korea. However, along with Homever, Walmart ended up kicking the bucket. The first time I checked out a Walmart in Korea I saw a pet store selling puppies and kittens. Well, today I'm going to show you another way to buy your puppies in Seoul.

I'm not sure if the following way to buy your dog in Korea is actually a good idea, let alone legal. There are lots of sellers that line the subway station exit steps selling puppies--resting in cardboard boxes lined with newspaper. It was shocking to see this, especially during the freezing winter! These things could not have been more than a few weeks old.

The following pictures were taken in Myeongdong, where some sellers line up plastic boxes and they are filled with puppies. Most of the time these stands draw a crowd of onlookers, but we didn't see anyone actually buy a puppy. If someone can translate what the signage says, that would be appreciated!


Literally a few steps away was this old lady, selling puppies by the boxful! The puppies were overflowing, with 5-6 puppies per box. These puppies were nothing compared to the world's fattest dog. I wonder what the dialogue would be for such a transaction...

Me: 안녕하세요...I'd like one puppy please.
Lady: That will be 10,000w. Would you like a bag?
Me: No, thanks. I'll just stuff the little bugger into my Tommy Atkins bag. Cya!

When I took this picture from the side, she had no idea. But when I tried to take a quick shot out front, she absolutely FREAKED! As you can probably figure out, I got the impression she didn't want me taking a picture. I was worried she would start throwing puppies at me. Now that's what you call dodging a bullet.


For those in Korea, have you ever purchased a dog off the streets? Gee, I never did get a chance to try dog meat...

18 comments:

seoulqueen said...

LMAO, very interesting post! as for the signage, it says 'puppies are vaccinated;they are all healthy.' on the bottom, it says 'You can look but don't touch the puppies'. I never get a chance to try dog meat, neither.

Anonymous said...

it says all puppies have been vaccinated. i think it's to own not to eat.

Gdog said...

seoulqueen: thanks for the translation!! :) I've added you to my blogroll btw ;)

Anonymous: haha yeah I know...just messing with you guys. ;)

Leo said...

Nothing like a nice dog steak after a long day of seal pup hunting ;)

Gdog said...

Don't forget dolphin hunting and whaling! Did you see the girl from Heroes crying off the shores of Japan?

♥ 새빈 said...

poor puppies :(
they're all stuffed in a box
I guess it's not legal to sell the puppies there, she probably doesnt have a license. Maybe thats why she doesn't want you to take a picture of her

Mandy said...

Wow, this is really quite sick/ funny...I wonder where the old lady got her puppies from. Maybe she should start giving them more space so onlookers can actually see the puppies.

John from Daejeon said...

She doesn't have a permit and is selling both the family friend and a good meal to boot illegally. Weekends are prime times to sit down in a high traffic area and sell your wares without too much worrying about being busted. I guess the permit police are only active Monday-Friday between 9-5.

I have never seen a scooter/motorcycle rider get busted either for riding on marked only bicycle pedestrian pathways. I guess the economy would come to a stand still without all those food delivery drivers zipping in and out of traffic and everywhere else.

The permit police did bust a few street vendors in my area, but it didn't take long for new ones to come in and stake out their spots.

Gdog said...

새빈: Yeah, I figured that when she reacted the way she did. It is very sad to see these puppies all crammed in a box, at such a young age in the cold.

Mandy: It's unfortunate, but I wonder who actually buys puppies from these sort of stands...

John: LOL at the comment about the scooters on the sidewalk, it's so true!

PhoenixStorm said...

The puppies are so cute! I've been debating getting one, but I'm loathe to leave a little thing like that alone while I'm at work.

I would be scared the ones on the street would have some disease or something. Plus it probably just encourages them to keep selling on the street if people are buying.

If anyone else is looking for a puppy try http://www.lonelylifetime.com/adoptable-animals-korea/
You can adopt for free if you can provide a good home.

Sunhee said...

I remember buying chicks on the street after school when I was around 7 or 8 yrs old. They were like 100 won and would always die in a few days. Heartbreaking..

Anonymous said...

30 % of the people in Korea still eat dog meat or have eaten dog meat. But they say that these dogs are from a farm so it's not a house pet/dog. They say it's very good. I just hope they never offer it to me. I'd have to say, no.

a reader said...

30 % of the people in Korea still eat dog meat or have eaten dog meat. But they say that these dogs are from a farm so it's not a house pet/dog. They say it's very good. I just hope they never offer it to me. I'd have to say, no.

Anonymous said...

30 % of the people in Korea still eat dog meat or have eaten dog meat. But they say that these dogs are from a farm so it's not a house pet/dog. They say it's very good. I just hope they never offer it to me. I'd have to say, no.

Clare said...

Hey Gdog! After reading your blog for a few months, I'm finally in Korea! Whoop. Your blog has added a bit to my perspective of korea! Oh my gosh was i shocked to see this SAME woman selling puppies in myungdong 2days ago! I felt dejavu then because i was sure I had seen her before and after visiting this post again, it is her! She was wearing the same clothes. Comparing my pic and urs, she was wearing the same clothes. When i snapped a pic, (knowing how she would react after reding this a few months ago) she really freaked!
It was a cool moment where I got to actually experience something described in your blog! :P

Poor puppies. Silly woman.

Gdog said...

Clare: LOL!!! Omg, that is so funny...how random! :) Hope you're enjoying your time in Korea!! :)

Anonymous said...

yummy

AnthonyG said...

Can anyone tell me specifically where in Myeongdong you saw these dogs. Like the exit number and station? I want to adopt one but I don't have a car.

Recent Posts

Learn Korean with KoreanClass101.com